Distance Education
Distance Education
UNCP Home Academics at UNCP Online & Distance Education State Authorization Compliance & Student Complaint Process
  • A
  • A

State Authorization Compliance & Student Complaint Process

Notice for Applicants Outside the State of North Carolina

Admission of applicants residing outside the state of North Carolina to an online degree or certificate program or individual online course offered by UNC Pembroke is dependent upon UNC Pembroke's ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence, if such authorization is required.

UNC Pembroke has been approved by the state of North Carolina to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. Institutions that are members of NC-SARA are authorized to provide online education to students from all NC-SARA member states. Please visit NC-SARA for more information regarding state and instiutional membership.  

If you have questions, please feel free to contact UNC Pembroke's Office of Online and Distance Education at (910) 521-6367.  


Notice to Online and Resident Students Seeking to Complete an Internship, Clinical, or Other Field Experience Outside of North Carolina

A student's ability to participate in an internship, clinical or other field experience is dependent upon the individual states authorization requirements and UNC Pembroke's authorization status with that state. Before engaging in any internship, clinical or other field experience outside of North Carolina, please check to see if UNC Pembroke is authorized for such experiences in that state. If you have any questions, please contact UNC Pembroke's Office of Online and Distance Education at (910) 521-6367. 


Contact Information for Filing Complaints

UNC Pembroke provides several means which a student may address complaints and grievances. Students are advised to put their concerns in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance. Students are advised to review UNC Pembroke's Complaint Process or contact the Division of Student Affairs for advice on which procedure to follow. Concerns should be expressed as soon as possible after the event occurs; some of the procedures below have specific deadlines for filing grievances or complaints.

If a complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting UNC Pembroke's procedure described above, the student may file a complaint with the following agencies:

  1. North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
    c/o Student Complaints
    University of North Carolina General Administration
    910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

    For more information, call (919) 962-4550 or send an email to: studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu. You may also contact UNC General Administration for further details.

  2. The Southern Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Colleges, UNC Pembroke's regional accrediting agency. For more information, please access the SACSCOC Complaint Policy (PDF).

  3. If you are residing outside of North Carolina while attending UNC Pembroke, in many cases you can file a complaint in the state where you are residing. As required by federal regulations, we direct you to UNC Pembroke's list of state agencies for filing student complaints.

  4. Students not residing in North Carolina and enrolled in a North Carolina institution that operates under SARA North Carolina may submit complaints to NCSEAA only after completing the complaint process established by the institution attended by the student. We direct you to SARA-North Carolina and to the Complaint Process page.


Professional Licensure Disclosure Statement

All applicable UNC Pembroke academic programs prepare students to sit for licensure in North Carolina. In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure UNC Pembroke is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure outside the state of North Carolina. UNC Pembroke cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure outside of the State of North Carolina. Please contact applicable licensure board(s) in any state you may want to pursue licensure prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure requirements. It is the student's responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure in any state outside North Carolina.