Frequently asked questions about Undergraduate Commencement
- When and how do I apply for graduation? Pick up the "Application for Graduation" form from the Registrar's Office at the beginning of the semester prior to your final year. Obtain the required signatures, pay the graduation fee and return the form to the Registrar's Office. You must apply one year in advanced for graduation. November 1st is the official deadline for turning in Winter graduation applications; April 1st is the deadline for Spring. For example, those graduating Spring 2018 will need to apply by April 1st, 2017.
- What is the fee for graduation? The Undergraduate application fee is $50. After the deadline for graduation each semester, a $25 late fee is applied to this charge. This covers the cap and gown, the diploma and the diploma cover.
- How do I know if I have met all the requirements for graduation? The Registrar will notify you by mail of your status towards graduation. This process takes approximately 6-8 weeks.
- How do I graduate in absentia? Fill out an absentia form in the Registrar's Office or mail in the request along with a $3.50 fee for postage. Your diploma cover will be mailed to you.
- I finished this summer. When do I get my diploma? Summer School graduates will march at the Winter Commencement, but will receive their diploma in the mail 8 -10 weeks after the August graduation date.
- How can I order a duplicate diploma? Send in a written request (or Request for Duplicate Diploma) with your name as you would have it appear on the diploma, date of graduation, major and the address to which it will be mailed. There is a $25.00 duplicate diploma fee as well as a fee of $10.00 if you would like to receive a diploma cover. Mail the request to UNCP, Registrar's Office, PO Box 1510, Pembroke, NC 28372. The diploma will be mailed to you directly from the company and you will receive an email when it is mailed.
- How long does it take? Anywhere from two weeks to a month.
- Where will the ceremony be held? For the Winter commencement, the ceremony is held in the English E. Jones Center. The Spring ceremony is held in the Bell Tower Quad.
- How do I get my cap and gown? Caps and gowns can be picked up at Grad Finale. If you can't attend Grad Finale, there will be alternate dates deemed by the University Bookstore. If you want the Bookstore to mail you a cap and gown, send in a written request along with $12.00 for shipping and handling.
- Where do I get my tickets? Tickets will be given out at Grad Finale (October for Winter Commencement, March for Spring Commencement). If you do not pick up your tickets at Grad Finale, they will be available in the Registrar’s Office. Please bring I.D. for verification purposes.
How many tickets can I get? Normally three to eight tickets are allowed for each graduate. The amount is determined by the number of graduates and the seating capacity of the facility used. You will be notified by mail and by email the number of tickets available.
How do I get extra tickets? During the Fall Commencement, no extra tickets will be given out. We encourage you to ask your friends who may not be attending, or not using all of their tickets, for their remaining tickets. During Spring Commencement, no extra tickets are guaranteed and we cannot tell if any will be available until the Friday before graduation. Students will be notified by Bravemail if there are any extra tickets. We will not “hold” any tickets. You must bring photo I.D. to pick up the tickets.
- Can I have my tickets mailed to me? Yes. You must make your request in writing with your signature to the Registrar’s Office along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope prior to the final month before graduation to ensure enough time for them to reach you.
- Can someone pick up my tickets for me? Yes, with your written and signed permission. Please indicate the person’s name picking up the tickets on your request, and also have them to bring a picture I.D. with them.
- Will handicapped seating be available for guests? Yes. Please inform Ms. Nicolette Campos, Director of Disability Services, telephone number (910) 521-6695, located in the D. F. Lowry Building that handicapped seating will be needed. Also, inform the Marshals when you arrive for graduation.
- Where do I get invitations and announcements? The University Bookstore.
- Do I get my diploma when I walk across the stage? No. Diplomas will be mailed after the final grades are processed. The diplomas will be mailed 8-10 weeks after graduation. You will receive an email to your Bravemail when the diplomas are being mailed to you.
- Do we walk across the stage individually? Yes. When your name is called, you will walk across the stage and receive your diploma cover.
- Do children require tickets? Yes, unless they are small enough to be held for the entire ceremony. If they require a seat, they must have a ticket.
- When, where, and how do I line up? You will line up alphabetically by degree and by school in the auxiliary gym in the Jones Health and P.E. Center. UNCP staff will be there to assist you. You will also receive correspondence from various offices that will give you information. Be sure to read all correspondence from all campus offices carefully so you will know what you need to do.
- What should I wear? There is no official dress code; we trust that you will dress appropriately. Thin heels may cause issues of being stuck on the ramp while approaching the stage.
- How long does the ceremony last? About two hours.
- What happens if I do not graduate? If you do not meet graduation requirements by commencement, you will need to reapply for graduation and pay a $25 diploma fee. You will be notified by email and mail if you do not meet all graduation requirements.
"If a candidate fails to qualify by the time of commencement, but does qualify at a later time, the student must submit another application and pay a $25 diploma free"