Graduate Student Travel Instructions
The School of Graduate Studies at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke recognizes the benefit to graduate students of presenting their scholarship projects at professional conferences and meetings. Although the available funding is limited, the Graduate School will consider applications for travel awards submitted by students engaged in mentored research activities.
In order to be eligible for consideration for these awards, the graduate student who applies for a travel award must:
- be presenting scholarship work at the conference/meeting;
- agree to present his/her project at a Graduate Research Poster Session, or have already done so;
- be in good academic standing in a graduate degree program at UNCP;
- obtain signatures of support from a faculty mentor and the program director;
- submit an application for the travel award no later than six weeks prior to travel date;
- complete travel within six months of the award date;
- complete travel prior to graduation;
- use funds only for travel identified in the application;
- return unused funds to the School of Graduate Studies;
Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Award sizes are based upon availability of funds and previous support to the applicant. Generally the award will not exceed $100. Each travel award request will be evaluated by a committee designated by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
To apply, mail or hand deliver the original application materials (described below) to:
School of Graduate Studies
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Lindsay Administartion Building, Room 124
P.O. Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372
Required application materials:
- Completed Graduate Student Travel Award Application (PDF)
- Completed Student Travel Form (fifth bulleted item from bottom of list)
- Detailed Travel Request form (second form from bottom of list in Excel) ONLY IF requesting prepayment or travel is overnight. Instructions for completing this form are found at: www.uncp.edu/ba/policies/co/co0292.htm. HOWEVER, students will not fill in the 6-digit account code and are not allowed to drive a state vehicle. If you are applying for funds from other sources (e.g., your department), have the department chair or dean sign the form and indicate the amount of their financial support (if any) prior to bringing the Travel Request form and other materials to the Graduate School office.
- Copy of the acceptance letter for the presentation/performance/ exhibit. If evidence of acceptance is not available by the award deadline, indicate that acceptance is pending and include a copy of the meeting solicitation.
- Upon completion of the travel, students granted an award will need to complete the Travel Reimbursement form.
Incomplete applications will be returned without review.
Return to Prospective Students