Map of Campus
Map of Campus
  • FONT SIZE
  • A
  • A

Jacobs Hall

Jacobs Hall (1961), named for Board of Trustees chair Rev. L. W. Jacobs, houses the offices of the Upward Bound, Student Support Services, and Health Careers Access Program.

Jacobs Hall 

Jacobs Hall

L.W. Jacobs 

L.W. Jacobs
(1893-1968)

Reverend L.W. Jacobs was born on June 12, 1893, near Fairmont, North Carolina, and died January 28, 1968.

In 1924, Rev. Jacobs was appointed to the Board of Trustees of Cherokee Indian Normal School (now UNC Pembroke) by Governor Angus W. McLean of Lumberton, N.C. He served as chair from 1935-68. Between 1924-68, he served continuously except for four years.

Rev. Jacobs was licensed to preach on September 9, 1916, by Reedy Branch Church. In October 1917, he was called to pastor at Mt. Airy Baptist Church where he served continuously, with the exception of 13 months, for the next 51 years. He also served Bear Swamp Baptist Church for 21 years, Berea for 26 years, Harper’s Ferry for 28 years, Mt. Olive for 18 years, Oak Gove for eight years and Ten Mile Center for three years. At the time of his death, he was pastor of Mt. Airy and Harper’s Ferry.

A veteran of World War I, Rev. Jacobs served 13 months in the Army, part of this time was in Europe. He was also a member of the Robeson County Selective Service Board during World War II.

Rev. Jacobs attended Joe Branch Elementary School (now Green Grove Elementary School). He completed high school at Cherokee Indian Normal School in 1925, and completed the two year Normal School in 1928. He attended two summers at Wake Forest University's seminary.

Rev. Jacobs taught school for 18 years. At Joe Branch Elementary School, he taught for seven years and served two years as principal. During this time, the school changed its site and name to Green Grove Elementary School. Rev. Jacobs also served as principal of Piney Grove School for two years and Prospect School for eight years.

Rev. Jacobs served as Postmaster for the Town of Pembroke from 1936-40.